Monday, January 28, 2013

Sacramental Living


Here I am to worship.

Here I am to bow down.

Here I am to walk to the store to get sour cream to bake a pound cake.

Here I am to stop on the way to the store to set up my neighbor's voicemail.

Here I am to give up on the sour cream and bake a yellow cake instead.

Here I am to spill sugar all over the floor of our tiny kitchen.

Here I am to share the still-warm cake with hilarious and beautiful roommates.

Here I am to take the rest of the cake down the street to a friend.

Here I am to sit with her, watching crappy Lifetime movies and talking about the weather and landlords and love.

Here I am to see her off to her hair appointment while I walk to the porch of an abandoned house where another friend is teaching me how to crochet.

Here I am to have her send me home a few minutes later because it's cold out and WHAT WAS I THINKING not wearing my coat?

Here I am to walk back to my own porch with yarn, hook, and thankful heart.

Here I am to steam broccoli while we wait for neighbors to come over for dinner (it's hot dogs again, and no one is complaining).

Here I am to boil water for tea and hot chocolate as our company lingers in the after-dinner hours.

Here I am to giggle with gratitude and exhaustion as I start to fall asleep on the couch and then stumble back to my creaking, squeaking, lumpy, and yet still inviting bed.

Yes, here I am to worship.

On that Day all the horses’ harness bells will be inscribed “Holy to God.” The cooking pots in the Temple of God will be as sacred as chalices and plates on the altar. In fact, all the pots and pans in all the kitchens of Jerusalem and Judah will be holy to God-of-the-Angel-Armies.
-Zechariah 14:20-21

No comments:

Post a Comment